[theme-reviewers] Something we need to check for3.4appearance-> background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 12 22:35:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> Sorry, the current user experience is if they use the appearance -> custom
> background that removing it will go back to defaults from the theme.  This
> is exactly what they are expecting.

No, that's just how it works *right now*. It's not what they are
expecting, nor should it be.

I'm not interested in maintaining the status quo. I want improvement.
We have backward-compatibility settled already, lets focus on making
the experience better.

> Again, user experience dictates that if it does it for a theme one way it
> should do it for another and here, you agree.

No. User experience dictates that if it does the wrong thing, then you
should work to make it do the right thing.

If the current system is giving them a default background of any sort
when they remove the custom background, then the current system is
broken and wrong.

> The end user is familiar with and knows what is going to happen when they
> reset / clear the properties of the appearance -> background.
> The end user expects it to default to what the theme has.

You are defining "the end user" as somebody who has been using a
WordPress site previously and knows this particular quirk.

I am defining an end user as them, plus one of the other 5 billion
people who isn't using WordPress yet. Do you think we're done
expanding here?

> Furthermore, I gave clear concise reasons why having a background-image:
> none;   will cause ultimately a thousand fold problems for theme designers
> who have distributed or created child themes for their themes (if) they
> enable the usage of default arguments.

*I don't want to have a background-image:none anymore.*  That ship
sailed yesterday. I haven't been talking about that for the last
50-freakin'-emails in this thread.

> I am sorry you do not understand or comprehend what I earlier wrote.   It is
> well known that decoding information based on references  of current
> conversation topical structure would assist in deciphering incomplete
> sentences.

Yes, well, I am very sorry that you still think we're talking about
something that we stopped talking about over 24 hours ago. We've moved
on. Try and catch up.