[theme-reviewers] Something we need to check for 3.4appearance-> background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 12 20:42:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> What is wrong with having a fallback to the theme or child theme defined
> background?

Because when the user removes the background image and sets no
background color in the "Custom Background" menu, then having their
site display some color or some background image is clearly not what
they are expecting to happen.

This is a simple user experience issue. If I have the option to set
any background image I want, and I choose to not set one, then I don't
expect the theme to pick some default one for me. If the theme is
doing that, then it's confusing. If I want to remove that, now I have
to go edit the theme to remove what the theme is doing.

A theme should pick one or the other, not both. Either implement
custom backgrounds, or put background elements directly in the
stylesheet. Either is fine. But both is confusing to the end user.