[theme-reviewers] Something we need to check for 3.4 appearance -> background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jun 11 22:57:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> As it should be.   If the appearance -> background image isn't set, there
> should not be a custom-background code or body class.

RIght, and that's fine, but you're then going to have to make sure
theme authors don't put background images into their stylesheets
either.

> You want to add steps the end user will not be familiar with *no* fallback.

I fail to see how "adding steps" is the case when it's one button to click.

> Just for a single quick-option to remove all backgrounds.   While the end
> user has been for years now been familiar with editing the style.css
> making/modifying a child theme or using a plugin.

For years, people have been editing their websites using Dreamweaver
and making hand-coded HTML. So why would one need a Content Management
System? End users can code too, you know.

Let's not be silly.

> Instead of keeping the status quo the implementation of it doesn't warrant
> the difficulty in providing support for it.   It's basically like telling
> people to user newheader.php instead of header.php from now on.

No, it's like telling people "hey, if you want no background image,
click the Remove Background Image button, unless your theme was
written in a non-compatible and stupid way, in which case you need to
learn CSS and then go manually change things".