[theme-reviewers] Something we need to check for 3.4 appearance -> background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jun 11 19:10:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> The simple thing about it is, if a custom background image and color is not
> used, then the CSS for it for custom-background and the class should not
> exist.

False, entirely. If the custom background is defined in the them, then
it's *always* used. A "no-background" selection is a perfectly valid
selection by the *user* of the theme.

If your method was used, then the user of the theme would have no way
to use the custom background functionality to select "no background".
Removing the class would allow the theme's CSS to come through
instead. That is not the desired outcome.

> Whatever default in the style.css of either the parent or child is
> inconsequential and up to the designer.  Not the core.

If the theme defines custom-backgrounds to be used (remember, this is
off by default, a theme must support custom backgrounds), then the
theme should not be defining any "defaults" in the style.css at all.
It's supporting custom backgrounds, it should have the defaults in
that custom background support call.