[theme-reviewers] Distilled Review

randall randall at ano-hosting.nl
Tue Jun 15 20:14:37 UTC 2010

On 06/14/2010 11:53 PM, Joseph Scott wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Tom Lany<mail at tomlany.net>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the note.
>>
>> I noticed that DB query, too, but didn't know how concerned I should be
>> about those.  It would probably be best for the author to use the
>> get_the_author function instead, as all they appear to be doing here is
>> pulling an author name.  If they wanted to pull more information,
>> http://codex.wordpress.org/Author_Templates might be a starting place.  I
>> would agree that this query should be probably be removed, but we might want
>> to get feedback on why it was included.
>>
>> I also noticed that ./lib/pngfix.js has an MIT license.  Is this acceptable?
>>

> That's fine that particular item, but I didn't see anything that
> indicated licensing terms for the whole theme.  Perhaps it is time to
> require a license.txt file for every theme, or a "License:" line as
> part of the theme header block in style.css.

first of all apologies for replying to the wrong message in this list, i
subscribed to this list only later and am replying to some of the posts
by Tom Laney and Joseph Scott in the archive.

second, thanks a lot for the constructive reviews. have uploaded 1.6
with some fixes
below i supplied some answers, questions and fixes.

* WP_DEBUG
have noticed these undefined index errors a while back and they had me
on a goose hunt, since there seem to be no problems when debug is of and
i was told they are harmless, so i left it there. if anybody knows how
to fix this tough i would love to hear.

*depreciated get_the_author_email
added a "fix"

* large number of pages in the top pages-menu gets messy (same applies
for the category menu for a different reason)
am aware of this and the number of pages in the sample data rips the
theme apart, am planning to look into this with the new menu system in 3.0

*screenshot
resized

*404 page
added some description and a search bar

* multiple page posts
made page-links stand out a bit more

*image is displayed twice
??? i could not find this? can you tell me more?

*no license info
added license.txt

*Page nav at the top also overlaps the rss feed
true, there is a way to limit to exclude pages and categories in the
admin section but it still looks sloppy, planning to fix this for wp 3.0

*the category nav
same as the pages, i definitely would appreciate pointers on this how to
do this with a gradient image bar

*theme options are saved as separate WP options
several of these will be useless in 3.0 so will eventually dissapear,
i'm re-designing this to have different option but it will take a while

*direct DB query
this is a female dog indeed, but not sure how it can do much harm. it
can be easily replaced with wp_list_authors but i could not find a way
to have the avatar listed nicely next to the authors.