[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54939: When a block theme is active, add Site Editor link and notice to the Customizer UI

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 4 19:08:39 UTC 2022

#54939: When a block theme is active, add Site Editor link and notice to the
Customizer UI
 Reporter:  ironprogrammer                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new

Comment (by ironprogrammer):

 Thanks, @Clorith. The intention with this warning is as you stated: to
 drive FSE theme users over to the new Editor, where their changes will
 actually apply. Perhaps the text could be more explict, like, ''"The
 active theme **does not** support the Customizer. Please use the new
 Editor instead: <button>."'' Suggestions to make it clearer would be
 greatly appreciated, regardless of when this releases.

 Since Customizer is still accessible when an FSE theme is active, the key
 concern is allowing users to **think** that the Customizer will continue
 to function for them would also lead to confusion (e.g. ''"What happened
 to all the menu options that were here? Where did the background image
 setting go?"'') Hence, the proposed warning.

 We absolutely want to avoid any implication that users can shift between
 customizing tools in a circular manner. FSE themes are new, so hopefully
 this warning would curtail some misunderstanding as users try out FSE. The
 wording of the notice needs to be clear on that.

 **Timing**
 Regarding timing, I agree that minors should generally avoid enhancements,
 especially considering this is a corner case where knowledge of, or a
 shortcut to Customizer is required. However, as adoption of 5.9 and FSE
 continues to grow, right now is when this nudge to stick to the new Editor
 could matter most to affected users.

 Feedback from release leads and translators is certainly called for. We're
 also awaiting design feedback, so we'll see what (and when) we can pull
 this together 😄

 If you have any thoughts on the text (or presentation) of the warning,
 please let us know.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54939#comment:9>