[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 4 12:34:10 UTC 2021

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
 Reporter:  jepperask                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  williampatton
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  note close                                     |

Comment (by BjornW):

 Replying to [comment:49 johnbillion]:

 Thanks for your comment. I respectfully disagree. I think this is an issue
 we can & should fix.

 A visitor is not responsible for a site and thus (sadly?) has no say in
 this at all, sorry. A site owner however is responsible for their site and
 has to deal with laws, policies and regulations. One of these policies in
 the EU for instance is the GDPR. That's also one of the reasons WordPress
 has a Privacy section in wp-admin nowadays.

 Therefor a possible strategy in solving this could be extending the
 Privacy section in wp-admin with options related to these kind of issues.
 Plural, because there are and will be more issues like this.

 A tab with options related to (in this case) embedding could be added.
 Each option allows the site-owner to make a decision with regards to
 privacy and embeds on their site. We could even use these options to
 automatically add information about this to the site's Privacy Policy. The
 defaults for these options would be open for discussion. Ultimately the
 site owner needs to be able to make an informed choice in this and
 communicate it with their public. Ignoring the issue at hand will not make
 it go away.

 Therefor I request you & others to reconsider and strive towards fixing
 this issue together and make WordPress more privacy-friendly out-of-the-
 box.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:50>