[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 4 11:12:58 UTC 2021

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
 Reporter:  jepperask                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  williampatton
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  note close                                     |
Changes (by johnbillion):

 * keywords:  needs-testing has-patch needs-dev-note => needs-testing has-
     patch needs-dev-note close

Comment:

 As a site visitor I value my privacy and don't wish to be tracked bu
 YouTube around the web, but I also value the convenience of using features
 in the player that are present because I'm logged in, such as ad-free
 viewing, being able to save videos to a watch later list, and utilising
 viewing history. These concerns shouldn't be discounted just because an
 individual can use external tools to approximate this functionality.

 If a UI to select between youtube and youtube-nocookie is added to the
 post editor at the point where an embed occurs then this places a decision
 burden on the site owner, when the decision to be tracked or not is one
 for the visitor themselves to make.

 I'm honestly not sure how to proceed with this. I think this is something
 that cannot be fixed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:49>