[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32503: Remove the "Update siteurl and home as well" checkbox option on multisite "Edit Site" screen.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 27 01:49:39 UTC 2015

#32503: Remove the "Update siteurl and home as well" checkbox option on multisite
"Edit Site" screen.
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  hugobaeta           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by earnjam):

 Replying to [comment:4 hugobaeta]:
 > So, if you don't select the checkbox, what happens? Where would you
 update `site_url`?

 You can edit both `home` and `site_url` on `site-settings.php`.

 Replying to [comment:5 jeremyfelt]:

 > If I have a site that I edit using `mysite.company-admin.test/wp-
 admin/`, I want the `siteurl` set to `https://mysite.company-admin.test/`
 and the domain/path set to `mysite.company-admin.test` and `/`.

 > I can imagine in this same scenario that my front-end actually lives at
 `https://company.com` and that all `home` uses should generate the URL
 accordingly.

 > In reality, that would probably require extensive filtering. It's just
 where my imagination has gone.

 That sounds more like the traditional view of domain mapping, which as you
 noted would require extensive filtering.

 I guess the main goal here is simplifying the UI and we wanted to open a
 ticket to start up discussion as to what would happen without the
 checkbox. I guess we can't update `home` and `site_url` automatically
 because of the two situations outlined in the original ticket and the
 comments above.

 Right now the checkbox only shows when `home` and `site_url` are
 identical. Which is actually '''''not''''' all that helpful because if
 they are the same, you wouldn't have the issue of the original ticket.

 Perhaps we could just update both `home` and `site_url` automatically if
 they are the same and equal to the previous value of `domain``path` and
 don't update them if `home` and `site_url` are different. The downside of
 that is that it's confusing because now we have 4 separate values set in 2
 locations and changing the `domain``path` values on `site-info.php`
 wouldn't really do anything.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32503#comment:6>