[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5770: Add the name "fuzzybot" to a translation when it is set to "fuzzy" by the bot

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 10 06:50:26 UTC 2021

#5770: Add the name "fuzzybot" to a translation when it is set to "fuzzy" by the
bot
--------------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  psmits1567                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  closed

Comment (by dd32):

 @psmits1567 I think there's definitely a misunderstanding of what a
 "fuzzy" string is.

 Let's say that I have a heading in my plugin v1
 `<h1><?php _e( 'My super awesome plugin' ); ?></h1>`
 In the next release of the plugin v2, I change it to:
 `<h1><?php _e( 'Super Awesome Plugin Settings' ); ?></h1>`

 If you're translated the first string in v1, it no longer exists in v2,
 and so your translation will be marked as an old translation, it no longer
 matches any translation in the current version of the plugin.

 Now let's say that in v3 of the same plugin, I change that heading to:
 `<h1><?php _e( 'Super Awesome plugin settings' ); ?></h1>`

 That is a string change, the string from v2 no longer exists, and a new v3
 string exists.

 As part of the "import strings from plugin into GlotPress" process,
 GlotPress determines fuzzies of strings, this is probably what you're
 thinking of as "fuzzybot". GlotPress says "Oh these two strings look
 Verrryyy similar, but they're not the same", and so it copies the
 translation from the v2 string against the v3 string and marks it as a
 '''fuzzy''' translation, the translation ''might'' be correct, but
 GlotPress doesn't know - it needs human review to ensure that it's still
 accurate.

 If we take the example from the spreadsheet:
 In 3.5.0 of the plugin, the string was `_e( 'All Categories' )` and it was
 translated by Chantal.
 In the next release, 3.5.1, the capitalisation was changed `_e( 'All
 categories' )`. The translated string '''no longer exists''' and a '''new
 untranslated string exists'''. GlotPress has realised it's just a minor
 change to what's ''probably'' the same string and has copied it over and
 retained the original translators attribution.

 In this case, yes, the fuzzy translation can now be approved, the
 capitalisation in the fuzzy translation is correct.

 In another thought up example, if a string changed from "Please click here
 to '''deactivate''' your account" to "Please click here to '''delete'''
 your account" GlotPress would ''probably'' detect that as a fuzzy (I
 haven't checked), since the original two strings are very similar, but
 GlotPress doesn't understand language, it needs a human reviewer to look
 at it. The reviewer should NOT approve that fuzzy.

 There's an argument to be made that a simple capitalisation change should
 not cause a string to go fuzzy, but for example, `%F` to `%f` can be a
 major change and require a human review.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5770#comment:6>