[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts in the support forums

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 17 11:23:51 UTC 2020

#5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts
in the support forums
----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  carike                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new
Description changed by jonoaldersonwp:

Old description:

> I broke the ticket! Woo! Oops.

New description:

 The Problem:

 - Many users are asking that their posts be deleted or edited to remove
 URLs, which they included in their posts in order to get support.

 - We do not want users to be afraid to ask for help when they need it.
 Fear is not conducive to creating a positive learning environment.

 - Having these conversations take time and is taxing on moderators, as it
 can take a while to explain to a user why their URL cannot be removed. The
 outcome can often leave both the poster and the moderator dissatisfied.

 The Constraints:

 - Removing posts / threads may hinder other users who are looking for
 answers to a similar problem.

 - Removing URLs currently require manual moderator intervention (time).

 The Proposed Solution:

 - After the hour window to edit their own post has expired, offer the user
 a button that can remove URLs from their post instead of the box with
 their post contents.

 - This can be done by searching the post for http:// or https:// (these
 already turn into blue hyperlinks automatically upon posting) or www. and
 replacing them with:

 "[URL redacted by poster]".

 We could include a sentence about the tool being in beta, in the hopes
 that it will be useful to users, next to the button / on hover.

 We could also specify that it will only work for links starting with
 http://, https:// or www. and that other links cannot be removed by the
 tool.

Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5093#comment:18>