[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3985: Out of bounds pagination requests to the plugin directory return a 'raw' 404

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 19 09:05:29 UTC 2018

#3985: Out of bounds pagination requests to the plugin directory return a 'raw'
404
------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect            |      Status:  new

Comment (by jonoaldersonwp):

 I'm not keen on writing this off. Anybody can link to those pages, and
 external systems (Google, Facebook etc), can, and will, freely request
 them.

 Frankly, that any URL at all on the domain(s) can return a 'raw' error
 page is far from 'good-enough', and we should address that as a serious
 SEO/UX/analytics issue. Error states should never redirect, either, for
 reference.

 If we're serving that error via the load balancer, at the very least, we
 could at the very least serve a cleaner/nicer static HTML page which
 contained useful content and resource links, appropriate meta (and HTTP
 header) content, and our Google Tag Manager code.

 That said, if we're already routing these requests via the load-balancer,
 why can't we route them to a native WP 404 state (i.e., rewrite the
 request invisibly to wordpress.org/error)?

 Re-opening!

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3985#comment:4>