[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2645: Plugin Directory: Installation instructions missing - May withhold essential information

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 4 19:51:21 UTC 2017

#2645: Plugin Directory: Installation instructions missing - May withhold
essential information
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Gahapati          |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by joelhardi):

 This effectively breaks one of my plugins (which requires `mysqli`) for
 users who can't find the installation instructions in the readme -- the
 result is going to be pointless forum posts and inaccurate reviews, which
 in fact have already started.

 All previous explanations I've left that refer users to the installation
 requirements at "wordpress.org/plugins/[plugin-name]/installation/" are
 now effectively broken links.

 This seems to be a policy change to not show plugin instructions? But I
 say "seems" because:
 1. WordPress core actually still shows an installation tab in the plugin
 admin section
 2. [https://wordpress.org/plugins/files/2016/06/readme.txt The most
 current sample readme.txt linked from WordPress.org] still has an
 Installation section so it's unclear what if anything plugin authors are
 supposed to do
 3. The new WordPress readme validator doesn't even work, it just POSTs
 back to itself and does nothing

 If this is a policy change that plugins are no longer supposed to contain
 or allow instructions then it should have been communicated and
 implemented in a coordinated way, right now this is just a bug.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2645#comment:22>