[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2645: Plugin Directory: Installation instructions missing - May withhold essential information

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 5 01:26:07 UTC 2017

#2645: Plugin Directory: Installation instructions missing - May withhold
essential information
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Gahapati          |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by samuelsidler):

 I can see why some plugin authors would want installation instructions,
 but they're definitely in the minority. For now, to get this information
 back in front of users, I think we should display installation
 instructions – if they differ from the default – at the top of the FAQ. We
 can call the entry "Installation Instructions."

 To get the conversation started about future iterations, maybe we can
 display a modal after download, that says "Thank you for downloading
 [plugin name]. To install, upload to your WordPress dashboard. <a>See more
 detailed installation instructions.</a>" with the latter being a link to
 either a basic help doc about how to install plugins in WordPress, or the
 detailed FAQ section, if it exists for that plugin. This is similar to
 what other software down, when downloading.

 Is there someone who'd like to take point on thinking through the UX
 interactions here and what would be the best experience for users? Perhaps
 we can have a scheduled chat in Slack about this topic and work with the
 design team to come up with a great experience.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2645#comment:23>