[wp-design] Second Draft

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Sun Feb 20 10:11:43 GMT 2005

Michael Heilemann wrote:

> If there's something I don't touch on, I obviously agree / go either way.

Good to hear, I was getting worried!

> Whatever we do, it just has to be better than in the current version,
> where it's rather annoyingly placed. I don't personally see a problem
> with placing it under the textarea, though maybe Joen has a good point
> on 'stressing' the user.

Completely agreed. Let's see if we can find an even better placement.

> I must've misunderstood Matt the first time around, I meant: yes we
> can have a minute counter, but honestly I would much rather have the
> option of autosaving.

Great idea. I would think of it as a checkbox, though. Hmm. Maybe not.
Checkboxes shouldn't do anything unless an attached button is clicked.
Maybe this should be placed in the Options > Writing page? I really
don't know.

We should also be careful not to make a feature overkill. IMHO, the
current functionality of Wordpress is rather expansive already.

> I don't like their placement. Ideally I wish we could get rid of them
> all together, but as it is, I would rather expand the sidebar a little
> to make room for them...

We definitely shouldn't rid of them ... Movable Type users only have
Trackbacks available, so if we remove them from WP we might lose a few
switchers.

>> Very very nice. I like it a lot. A couple of things:
>> I love the friendlyness, and the layout, but I'm a bit worried about
>> the extra used space. Matt mentioned it as a comment to one of my
>> earliest mockups: we don't want to use too much real estate up there.
>> The idea is, i would guess, that it shouldnt' be necessary to scroll,
>> to edit your post. So if things could be chucked a little together,
>> I'd love it.
>

> I agree that we shouldn't have to scroll, but I do like the extra
> space. A middleway between the two?

Indeed a middleway. 5px here and there makes up a lot. Which reminds me
to a rather important thing I forgot to mention!

A blue line was added in the latest mockup, aligned to the top. While I
like this (and the color), I fear that it's a bit too similar to the
Movable Type interface:
http://www.noscope.com/journal/assets/wp-iface-usability/mt-iface.jpg
(SQL is down, i'm talking to my host right now, but files still work).

>> As for the "Good evening" thing, I love it! PERFECT part of the WP
>> brand. It is definitely friendly. How about the coders do some magic
>> here so this message rotates through a couple of phrases akin to the
>> setup? I.e. that funny tone during install that's come to be part of
>> the WP brand? A "Hello Dolly" of the admin page?
>
> Like Flickr does it? :)

Heheh, exactly like Flickr does it. Except, with a WP twist.

>> However, I would like it that we come up with some more examples of
>> this, especially when we go a-branding the interface. One option
>> could be to let the tab width be related to the width of the text.
>> Another option could be to rename "Presentation" to "Themes".
>
> I think there's a bunch of naming issues we'll have to take up; also
> "Write Page".

Maybe we should start tackling these issues as well? Or is that a later
phase?

--

Joen Asmussen

CPH, DENMARK