[wp-design] Second Draft

Michael Heilemann heilemann at mac.com
Sun Feb 20 09:06:00 GMT 2005

If there's something I don't touch on, I obviously agree / go either
way.

>> 3. I am not sure why we thought the ability to delete a post should be
>> "advanced" so I moved it up where it is more appropriate.  Having left
>> aligned breaks it up from the safer publish and editing buttons, while
>> still having its placement make a little more sense.

Whatever we do, it just has to be better than in the current version,
where it's rather annoyingly placed. I don't personally see a problem
with placing it under the textarea, though maybe Joen has a good point
on 'stressing' the user.

>> 4. Speaking of editing buttons, I am not sure why the 'save and
>> continue editing button' is missing, since that is probably the button
>> I use the most, and the one that I gripe about not being on the edit
>> page screen the most, so it is back.
>>
>> Got a good idea from the other message. What if instead of this
>> button we just have a JS created button that says "8 minutes since
>> last save"
>
> I think, neither. In the case of the normal "Save and cont. ed.", I am
> fully with Michael that the behavior of the regular Save button is
> redundant. In a way, "Publish", is even redundant (though I'm not
> proposing we remove that!)
>
> As for the "8 minutes since...", it is also redundant. We _could_ have
> a grayed textarea with such a counter, but I would be inclined to
> think that was also a bad idea. I'm afraid having such a counter would
> stress people unnecessarily. Maybe this is a feature people could turn
> off or on in the options?

I must've misunderstood Matt the first time around, I meant: yes we can
have a minute counter, but honestly I would much rather have the option
of autosaving.

>> 5. I have moved send trackbacks to under the advanced area, since
>> Trackbacks are evil.  Also since we send pingbacks automagically I
>> think they (trackbacks) are more at home in the advanced area.
>>
> I actually rather like trackbacks :) they look nicer than pingbacks.
>
> But I agree.

I don't like their placement. Ideally I wish we could get rid of them
all together, but as it is, I would rather expand the sidebar a little
to make room for them...

>> 6. I have rejiggered the header area, and for the sake of illustration
>> changed the title to my title.  I think placing the logout/view site
>> bit under the title is a better way to go since as you can see some
>> blog titles can be quite long.  I also feel strongly that we should be
>> making the admin a little friendlier, I think the inclusion of welcome
>> text that displays the currently logged in users name is essential.
>>
> Very very nice. I like it a lot. A couple of things:
> I love the friendlyness, and the layout, but I'm a bit worried about
> the extra used space. Matt mentioned it as a comment to one of my
> earliest mockups: we don't want to use too much real estate up there.
> The idea is, i would guess, that it shouldnt' be necessary to scroll,
> to edit your post. So if things could be chucked a little together,
> I'd love it.

I agree that we shouldn't have to scroll, but I do like the extra
space. A middleway between the two?

> As for the "Good evening" thing, I love it! PERFECT part of the WP
> brand. It is definitely friendly. How about the coders do some magic
> here so this message rotates through a couple of phrases akin to the
> setup? I.e. that funny tone during install that's come to be part of
> the WP brand? A "Hello Dolly" of the admin page?

Like Flickr does it? :)

> However, I would like it that we come up with some more examples of
> this, especially when we go a-branding the interface. One option could
> be to let the tab width be related to the width of the text. Another
> option could be to rename "Presentation" to "Themes".

I think there's a bunch of naming issues we'll have to take up; also
"Write Page".

Aloha, Mike
http://binarybonsai.com