[wp-design] Second Draft

Khaled Abou Alfa khaled.aboualfa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 10:32:20 GMT 2005

Joen Asmussen wrote:

> Michael Heilemann wrote:
>
>> If there's something I don't touch on, I obviously agree / go either
>> way.
>

> Good to hear, I was getting worried!
>
>> Whatever we do, it just has to be better than in the current version,
>> where it's rather annoyingly placed. I don't personally see a problem
>> with placing it under the textarea, though maybe Joen has a good
>> point on 'stressing' the user.
>

> Completely agreed. Let's see if we can find an even better placement.
>
>> I must've misunderstood Matt the first time around, I meant: yes we
>> can have a minute counter, but honestly I would much rather have the
>> option of autosaving.
>

> Great idea. I would think of it as a checkbox, though. Hmm. Maybe not.
> Checkboxes shouldn't do anything unless an attached button is clicked.
> Maybe this should be placed in the Options > Writing page? I really
> don't know.
>
> We should also be careful not to make a feature overkill. IMHO, the
> current functionality of Wordpress is rather expansive already.

I've thought about this now, I'm actually leaning towards the simple
approach. Just a save button, that does what you'd expect it to do,
rather than save and close. I like the auto saving as an /option/ rather
than a standard default setting.

>> I don't like their placement. Ideally I wish we could get rid of them
>> all together, but as it is, I would rather expand the sidebar a
>> little to make room for them...
>

> We definitely shouldn't rid of them ... Movable Type users only have
> Trackbacks available, so if we remove them from WP we might lose a few
> switchers.
>
>>> Very very nice. I like it a lot. A couple of things:
>>> I love the friendlyness, and the layout, but I'm a bit worried about
>>> the extra used space. Matt mentioned it as a comment to one of my
>>> earliest mockups: we don't want to use too much real estate up
>>> there. The idea is, i would guess, that it shouldnt' be necessary to
>>> scroll, to edit your post. So if things could be chucked a little
>>> together, I'd love it.
>>

>> I agree that we shouldn't have to scroll, but I do like the extra
>> space. A middleway between the two?
>

> Indeed a middleway. 5px here and there makes up a lot. Which reminds
> me to a rather important thing I forgot to mention!
>
> A blue line was added in the latest mockup, aligned to the top. While
> I like this (and the color), I fear that it's a bit too similar to the
> Movable Type interface:
> http://www.noscope.com/journal/assets/wp-iface-usability/mt-iface.jpg
> (SQL is down, i'm talking to my host right now, but files still work).

Yeah I noticed that, damn man that's well annoying, hate hosting
problems. Back on topic. I agree with all the previous points Joen made,
but as I'm still thinking about this area I can't really comment except
say that it's a bit too big. Hmm so that's what MT looks like now adays,
not as impressive as I remember it to be honest. We're going to walk all
over that interface :).

>>> As for the "Good evening" thing, I love it! PERFECT part of the WP
>>> brand. It is definitely friendly. How about the coders do some magic
>>> here so this message rotates through a couple of phrases akin to the
>>> setup? I.e. that funny tone during install that's come to be part of
>>> the WP brand? A "Hello Dolly" of the admin page?
>>

>> Like Flickr does it? :)
>

> Heheh, exactly like Flickr does it. Except, with a WP twist.

That would bring one of the core values we were talking about (wow full
circle ^_^).

>>> However, I would like it that we come up with some more examples of
>>> this, especially when we go a-branding the interface. One option
>>> could be to let the tab width be related to the width of the text.
>>> Another option could be to rename "Presentation" to "Themes".
>>

>> I think there's a bunch of naming issues we'll have to take up; also
>> "Write Page".
>

> Maybe we should start tackling these issues as well? Or is that a
> later phase?

Patience Grasshopper, patience.