[wp-design] Second Draft

Khaled Abou Alfa khaled.aboualfa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 02:52:39 GMT 2005

Okay took me a while but got there in the end. Just wanted to say that
Joen's done such a fantastic job of bringing all our initial ideas
together into something really tight. First I'll talk about what I liked.

I love the cross-hair increase decrease button.
I'm agreeing with putting all the items on the right hand side, and I
like which ones you've chosen to put there as well.
I like Joen's switching of the website name and the wp logo.
I know the borders were a hot topic, I like them as they are, however I
will say that one of my favourite graphics in there is the little white
border that has a 1px gap and goes all the way around the text input
field.Would it be an idea to have this thin white border go all the way
around the actual text input fields?

My versions can be found here:

www.brokenkode.com/shuttledev/v4.jpg

www.brokenkode.com/shuttledev/v4.psd

Here's a list of what I changed and my reasoning behind them:

   1. I removed the actual white background around the entire post area.
      I really like the application feel that it has without the
      addition of the white area. It makes it less of a website.
   2. I moved the entire post area and aligned it to the left. I think
      that's where it should stick, and only increase as a maximum to
      what we've currently got. I don't think it should be floating in
      the middle of the page as it currently does. I guess we should be
      using the real estate more properly?
   3. I've removed the help links for a couple of the field, which I
      thought were a bit un-necessary. Specifically the 'Title', and
      'Post Status'
   4. In the list on the right hand side, I've added a border and a
      separator line underneath that. The line has got a dark grey and
      then a white 1px line underneath it. I know very application
      looking, but I think it works in the style without the white
      border. One of the reasons for this is because there didn't seem
      to be a clear separation between the items in the list. I also
      increased the spacing between them
   5. It's very subtle and if you blink you'll miss it but underneath
      the tab navigation I've added a very thin 1px white line under the
      black line. I've got to admit that I need to think about the top
      nav bar a bit more. I'm still thinking about this, so I don't have
      any concrete ideas as such...yet
   6. I've aligned the save and publish buttons on the side of the text
      input box.
   7. I've added a light grey box on the footer, and moved the wordpress
      1.5 and support forum link to the right hand side, to align with
      the end of the actual list. This I did simply because I was
      experimenting. I liked it so I kept it in there. It doesn't work
      with the header, which is why I'm thinking about how to go about
      that, especially since it's got a white 1px border at the top,
      which makes it slightly softer.
   8. Retweaked the advanced section. I wasn't sure how you were
      proposing on tackling this one Joen, so I just opened it up a bit.
      Not ideal I'll be the first to admit that but I was trying to get
      the ideas across so that we can build on that. I tried putting a
      red border around that, but it didn't look correct to be honest.

Final point just want to say that this is all a brilliant experience.
I'm loving seeing the progression as we bat this thing between us. You
can see how all the designs are meshing into one another and becoming so
much more solid, slowly but surely. I'm going to be tackling the header
next until Michael does his tweaking on the main body :), then it all
starts again :).