[theme-reviewers] Why can't theme authors have a second version of a theme?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 26 22:22:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Trent Lapinski <trent at cyberchimps.com>
wrote:

> From a branding purpose this makes logical sense.

Let me put it another way:

If somebody previous to now, who was not you, had requested an entry for
"Responsive II", should we have honored that request, or pushed back on it?

Basically, you're asking for special treatment here. You want us to say yes
to you, the current owner and maintainer of the "original" theme, but no to
everybody else.

This is a rather bigger step than I think you're accounting for, honestly.
Do you want our theme reviewers making judgments based on trademarks and
other similarities like this as well?

Right now, the rule is that because "Responsive" exists, nobody gets to
make "Responsive Extended" or "Responsive NG" or "Responsive 1138". Do you
*really* want to open that can of worms?