[theme-reviewers] Why can't theme authors have a second version of a theme?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 26 22:18:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Trent Lapinski <trent at cyberchimps.com>
wrote:

> It isn’t a new theme, it is the next version of the existing theme with a
> different grid. Again, I do not want to be responsible for breaking several
> million websites.

See Trent, this is where we disagree.

You say it's not a new theme, but you also:
a) want a new entry for it in the theme directory, and
b) admit that there is no upgrade path from the "old" theme because it
would break all the sites that use it.

To me, these statements don't really work together.

If you want to break backward compatibility and create something new for
new users to use (and with no ability for existing users to upgrade to),
then that's fine. But choose a new name to avoid confusion. This is a *new
theme*, by definition. New directory entry = new theme.