[theme-reviewers] Lite Themes

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:21:19 UTC 2014

+1 Andre

Real professionals do their due diligence to keep their affairs in order.

However, it's important to remember that people make mistakes.
Unfortunately, even when informed of their mistakes, not everyone takes
responsibility and action to address the issue.

For example, this theme http://designmodo.com/startup-wordpress/ is ripping
off my officially trademarked theme name
https://startupwp.com/startup-wordpress-theme/ and they refuse to stop.
Their product looks beautiful really, if only they'd come up with their own
unique name to market it under. Not everyone in the community is interested
in playing nice though.

Not only should there be perhaps more education for theme reviewers
regarding these issues within reason (for the most part it is important for
developers to not infringe on other marks as it is the responsibility of
the mark owners to protect them), I think there needs to be more
accountability for developers in the community who refuse to respect the
GPL, WP guidelines or other developers in the community, and not support
them or tolerate their behavior.

To me, it's simple. Almost all the guidelines revolve around protecting the
end-user and creating a better experience for them. Well, if you're willing
to cause confusion for people you're not only violating consumer protection
law, but you blatantly don't care about them and clearly just care about
your own bottom line.