[theme-reviewers] Lite Themes

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Oct 2 17:54:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, this theme http://designmodo.com/startup-wordpress/ is
> ripping off my officially trademarked theme name
> https://startupwp.com/startup-wordpress-theme/ and they refuse to stop.

You do indeed have a trademark on "Startup":
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:ptqj72.2.50

Funnily enough, so does Apple:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:ptqj72.2.121

Not judging, just saying that realistically, we're not trademark
enforcement. We shouldn't have to be.

But, we certainly should be able to recognize when somebody is, perhaps
unintentionally, creating confusion or problems in our directory. Reviewers
can use their best judgement here, and if it's questioned, then the admins
can use theirs too, without having to be limited to some rigidly defined
rule.