[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 23:41:36 UTC 2013

*@Otto*

"Discussions are taking place in this respect. Time is probably going to be
required to evaluate all the aspects of the matter."

Great, is that okay then for us all to discuss it? I mean I understand we
don't have any sort official say and there's private discussions taking
place, respectively, but I assume it's okay for us to share our input as
well?

Since this isn't just an issue of PageLines and is a more important,
broader subject, do you see any problems with a catch-all policy like (for
discussion's sake):

"*Theme developers may not use deceptive marketing ploys or proprietary
licensing restrictions that contradict the GPL or WP policy in the
intention of locking in customers and restricting their usage.*"

Specifically, I'm not trying to bring the GPL up again in regards to
PageLines, I just mean for it to apply in other future instances where it
may be a problem with other themes, in a catch-all fashion.