[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 9 23:51:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since this isn't just an issue of PageLines and is a more important, broader
> subject, do you see any problems with a catch-all policy like (for
> discussion's sake):
>
> "Theme developers may not use deceptive marketing ploys or proprietary
> licensing restrictions that contradict the GPL or WP policy in the intention
> of locking in customers and restricting their usage."

I would think that specific rule would be unnecessary, as it falls
under Wheaton's Law: "Don't be a dick".

Essentially, you're claiming that something is "deceptive" here. What
exactly is deceptive about selling a product?

Guidelines should be generic, but not so generic as to be
all-encompassing. All marketing is deceptive in my opinion, so you
just banned marketing entirely. As much as I like world-changing,
advertising is fairly engrained. Seems like you're biting off a very
large piece of pie here.