No subject

Fri Sep 28 14:53:50 UTC 2012

1) Clearly defined requirements, ideally listed somewhere in the Codex
2) Updated Tag Filter
3) Identify accessibility guidelines that can be evaluated programmatically
via Theme-Check where possible
4) Identify accessibility guidelines that can be incorporated into the
Theme Unit Test Data where possible
5) Identify accessibility guidelines that can only be verified by a live
person
6) Set up Theme-Trac workflow to shunt Themes using the Accessibility tags
into a separate queue
7) Volunteers to review Themes in the Accessibility queue in Theme-Trac

So really, the first step, #1, is creating the accessibility Guidelines in
the Codex. Once those are defined, we can certainly go from there. Note
that, in the end, to the extent that accessibility will require live-human
verification, the WPTRT will need volunteers from the accessibility team to
help with the reviews.

Thanks,

Chip

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well written Mel!
>
> Obviously there is passion behind this cause and support from "core" as
> well ... it would seem the http://make.wordpress.org/accessibility group
> has a strong position to lobby for an additional tag to be added to the
> theme repository. Perhaps three tags: Accessibility-A, Accessibility-AA,
> and Accessibility-AAA? Just some food for thought ...
>
> ... and you would have my support for a new tag(s) based on these
> discussions, too.
>

> Cais.
>

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *SOLD*
>>
>> Okay, honestly, you've made a really solid case and I almost feel I want
>> to do my part to help now. You've got me thinking about it (it's my
>> obsessive nature) and now I'm considering making some of my themes as
>> accessible as possible (which I think about in general, but perhaps not
>> enough).
>>
>> I could go point by point and rebuttal and clarify a lot, but I feel a
>> bit suffocated by your passion vs my somewhat interest (and slight laziness
>> at the moment) in the matter and I really think it would be overkill to do
>> so, so I'll just say my generalized open-ended way of speaking (and use of
>> synonyms in my mind) often clashes with those that speak in very literal
>> terms which I think is one of the biggest issues here as far as
>> misinterpretation and misunderstanding and disagreement. Overall though
>> you've made some great valid points that has changed my perspective in the
>> matter, good work :).
>>

>> "*Instead what is being suggested is an additional OPTIONAL review only
>> for those who WISH to flag their submitted theme as accessible.*"
>>
>> This was obviously my biggest concern and you've clarified to the point
>> that I think I'm on board. Perhaps themes that are tagged "accessible" (and
>> to be accessible perhaps the criteria should be that at least x number of
>> accessible features are in place or at least
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1A-Conformance is met) could be placed in
>> their own separate ticket category so reviewers know exactly what kind of
>> attention the theme needs right away? If someone already suggested that,
>> apologies (I'm in skim mode a bit).
>>
>> So, you've turned my stubbornness into a vote. I was wrong. There can be
>> reasonable improvement in this area, I'm going to take a nap now and then
>> analyze and update some of my themes with accessibility in mind.
>>

>> Bryan Phillip Hadaway
>>

>> Web & Graphic Designer
>> calmestghost.com
>> bhadaway at gmail.com
>>

>> *Socialize:* Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/calmestghost> | Twitter<http://twitter.com/calmestghost> |
>> LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/calmestghost> | Google+<https://plus.google.com/104582075016689917593>

--14dae93404bbffaede04cac44dac

I see no reason that the WPTRT can&#39;t support this effort. However, doin=
iv>From a practical standpoint, here&#39;s what I think we would need for i=
mplementation:<div>
ity guidelines that can be evaluated programmatically via Theme-Check where=
 possible</div>
 Theme Unit Test Data where possible</div><div>5) Identify accessibility gu=
idelines that can only be verified by a live person</div><div>6) Set up The=
me-Trac workflow to shunt Themes using the Accessibility tags into a separa=
te queue</div>
ccessibility Guidelines in the Codex. Once those are defined, we can certai=
nly go from there. Note that, in the end, to the extent that accessibility =
will require live-human verification, the WPTRT will need volunteers from t=
he accessibility team to help with the reviews.</div>
=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Edward Caissie <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:edward.caissie at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Well written Mel!<br><br>Obviously there is =
passion behind this cause and support from &quot;core&quot; as well ... it =
would seem the <a href=3D"http://make.wordpress.org/accessibility" target=
=3D"_blank">http://make.wordpress.org/accessibility</a> group has a strong =
position to lobby for an additional tag to be added to the theme repository=
. Perhaps three tags: Accessibility-A, Accessibility-AA, and Accessibility-=
AAA? Just some food for thought ...<br>

012 at 8:39 AM, Bryan Hadaway <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bhada=
way at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">bhadaway at gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<b=
r></div>
eft:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div class=3D"h5">

I almost feel I want to do my part to help now. You&#39;ve got me thinking =
about it (it&#39;s my obsessive nature) and now I&#39;m considering making =
some of my themes as accessible as possible (which I think about in general=
, but perhaps not enough).<br>

bit suffocated by your passion vs my somewhat interest (and slight laziness=
 at the moment) in the matter and I really think it would be overkill to do=
 so, so I&#39;ll just say my generalized open-ended way of speaking (and us=
e of synonyms in my mind) often clashes with those that speak in very liter=
al terms which I think is one of the biggest issues here as far as misinter=
pretation and misunderstanding and disagreement. Overall though you&#39;ve =
made some great valid points that has changed my perspective in the matter,=
 good work :).<div>

ew only=20
for those who WISH to flag their submitted theme as accessible.</i>&quot;<b=
r><br></div>This was obviously my biggest concern and you&#39;ve clarified =
to the point that I think I&#39;m on board. Perhaps themes that are tagged =
&quot;accessible&quot; (and to be accessible perhaps the criteria should be=
 that at least x number of accessible features are in place or at least <a =
href=3D"http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1A-Conformance" target=3D"_blank">http://=
www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1A-Conformance</a> is met) could be placed in their own =
#39;m in skim mode a bit).<br>

an be reasonable improvement in this area, I&#39;m going to take a nap now =
and then analyze and update some of my themes with accessibility in mind.<d=
iv>

ns-serif"><div style=3D"margin:0pt 0pt 8px"><p style=3D"margin:0pt"><span s=
tyle=3D"color:rgb(46,45,46)"> <br> Web &amp; Graphic Designer<br>
46)"><br>

na,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"><a href=3D"http://www.facebook.com/calmestgh=
ost" target=3D"_blank">Facebook</a> |</span><span style=3D"font-size:13.3px=
;font-family:Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"> <a href=3D"http://twitter=
.com/calmestghost" target=3D"_blank">Twitter</a> </span><span style=3D"font=
-size:13.3px;font-family:Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">| </span><a hr=
ef=3D"http://www.linkedin.com/in/calmestghost" target=3D"_blank">LinkedIn</=
a> | <a href=3D"https://plus.google.com/104582075016689917593" target=3D"_b=
lank">Google+</a><br>

/a><br>