[theme-reviewers] Need Help

Bruce Wampler weavertheme at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:11:12 UTC 2012

> I don't know what ThemeForest's rules are, but... it's your theme,
> your work, your code. Can't you distribute it under any license you
> like?
>
> We require themes distributed from our repo to be 100% GPL-compatible.
> I don't know of any reason you couldn't put the same theme you created
> on another site as well, under any licensing terms you like, dual or
> not.
>
> -Otto

Hey - now I'm confused. From my understanding of comments Chip
gave me during an earlier theme review, I believe the policy was that any
theme
hosted on the repository had to also be 100% GPL on _any_ site it was
hosted on.
I even understood that the policy extended further than that, actually. I
thought that
everything on a site hosting a repo-hosted theme had to be GPL. And this is
really a
reasonable extension of the whole concept of GPL - for the privilege of
being
hosted on the WP.org repo, you agree to keep the theme totally in the spirit
of the concept.