[theme-reviewers] Something we need to check for 3.4 appearance -> background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 12 20:37:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> Then what is stopping you from creating your own callback to specify a
> background-image: none;  ?

It would be rather pointless for a theme to do a callback specifically
to do that when it could simply not put background elements into its
own style.css file.

Why are you asking "what is stopping you"? Are you referring to me,
specifically? Because I'm talking about this from the point of a
theme-author and how themes should work. Not from my own personal
preferences here.

> Or even writing a patch that has a button to enable a none background image
> that keeps the custom-background class and style ?

That's what 3.4 *actually did* until yesterday. And I was perfectly
happy with it. But then you started complaining about it, and so now
we have this situation.

> Just clearing the background image, "remove image"  should coincide with its
> utilization and effect in the same manner that not assigning default
> $arguments presents.   Which it now currently does.

Right. You're dead on there. So, what we have to do is to now define
the rule for theme review so that themes will behave properly when
that button is clicked.

> I would like to read more thoughts on how to make what you want happen with
> giving the ability to the end user to have no-image other then removing of
> all settings in the appearance -> background section of the wp-admin.

I don't understand what you mean "other then"(sic). That's *exactly*
the UX I want to have. If I hit "remove background image", and I have
no background color set, and I hit save, then I should have *no
background of any kind*. That is what the custom background does,
right? It lets me customize the background. Well, if I customize it to
have no background, then I want to be sure that themes will not have a
background after doing that.

> I am sure there could be other methods implemented including that of a
> button in the wp-admin -> appearance -> background.

So you want to add another option (button) to do something which is
easily doable already by a much more sane and obvious method. Why,
exactly?

This isn't that complicated. All a theme has to do is *not* add a
background to their stylesheet *IF* they implement the
custom-background functionality. It's a simple, no-brainer, rule. If
you're giving the user a custom background, then just don't put one in
the stylesheet. How hard is that? Why are you fighting against this?