[theme-reviewers] Unregistering default widgets

Konstantin Obenland konstantin at obenland.it
Fri Jun 1 14:49:16 UTC 2012

On 01.06.2012, at 16:39, Chip Bennett wrote:

> I agree with this. Themes should not be *removing* core functionality - including core Widgets. Modifying/enhancing that functionality is a different - and should be an acceptable - matter.

Absolutely, as long as they're registered as their own Widget. See it as part of Theme name-spacing.

On 01.06.2012, at 16:35, Edward Caissie wrote:

> hmm ... let me try a different approach:
>
> Deregistering core widgets should only be done if an enhanced version of that exact widget is registered that includes *all* of the original widget's functionality; otherwise just register a new *required theme-specific* widget.

But even then, the core Widget does not need to be deregistered. The only argument in that direction came from Chip: "Having two Widgets with equivalent functionality is redundant and confusing, and adds to the already crowded/poor UX of the Appearance -> Widgets screen"

> BUT, what happens when the theme is deactivated? Are these newly registered theme-specific widgets deregistered and the original core widgets re-registered?

I'd say so. But they won't be carried over to the new Theme obviously, as they go with the old one.

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> The important question is if you see a reason why they shouldn’t.  Not if they shouldn’t, but why they shouldn’t.   There is a valid reason why jquery shouldn't be deregistered.  Hence why it’s a guideline not to.

Yes, the reason is to ensure a consistent user experience across Themes.
I agree, there are (probably) no technical repercussions like when deregistering jQuery. Except for Plugins trying to modify core Widgets maybe