[theme-reviewers] explicit license statements for binaries

Kirk Wight kwight at kwight.ca
Fri Feb 10 14:43:16 UTC 2012

The way I understand it, a binary is not, by its nature, editable source -
the best example being proprietary software that is distributed as an
uneditable binary. These final formats are "compiled" from the editable
source, which is what the GPL requires to be available to the end-user in
the case of distribution. (Wow, this armchair lawyer is pulling out ALL the
sexy terms today.)

The five questions starting here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifiedJustBinary are an
interesting read; it would suggest that as long as the theme developer
states where the source files are available, those sources would not need
to be included with theme.

Not a simple situation; I'm suggesting we just require an explicit
statement so that we know the developer has considered and stands by the
licensing stated.