[theme-reviewers] Flash objects in themes

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Oct 15 16:10:18 UTC 2011

Plugins that bundle binary blobs are required to include the human-editable
version of the file as well. I don't see why Themes would be any different.

The lack of a license is not merely a red-flag, but a show-stopper. Just as
we require explicit license declaration for font files, so would we also
require explicit license declaration for other binaries, such as SWF files.
(Personally, I think we're a bit lax on this point WRT bundled image/icon
files, too.)

Note that the Guidelines *do* discuss licensing, at length - but, I can
certainly clarify on this point if necessary.

But, all that said, my underlying question is: why does a Theme need to
bundle a flash audio player to begin with? Would a flash audio player be
rightly considered as Plugin Territory?

Chip