[theme-reviewers] HTML Tags Deprecated in HTML5

Ian Stewart ian at iandanielstewart.com
Sun Sep 25 18:57:47 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-25, at 8:44 AM, Chip Bennett wrote:

> The ACRONYM, BIG, STRIKE, and TT tags aren't supported by HTML5. So if you're developing a Theme with the HTML doctype, you don't need to worry about supporting them. Also, for reviewers: if you're reviewing a Theme with the HTML doctype, support of these tags shouldn't be required.
>
> I've split these tags out into a separate sub-heading of HTML5-deprecated tags in the Layout Test, to help make this distinction clear. Let me know if you have any other ideas or questions about the Theme Unit Test data.

I think it makes sense to support deprecated tags with CSS for anything a user can input with the WordPress HTML editor. There's backwards compatibility with older content to worry about and the expectation that users won't know or care about the HTML5 doctype but will care that their content is unstyled.

Ian