[theme-reviewers] Child theme language files

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Sep 20 18:10:54 UTC 2011

The difference between load_child_theme_textdomain and load_theme_textdomain
is that one looks in the stylesheet directory, the other looks in the
template directory.

The process for translating a child theme is much the same as translating a
standalone theme. The child theme needs its own slug (not the slug of the
parent) and you will use load_child_theme_textdomain in the same way as
using load_theme_textdomain. Each theme, the child and the parent, will have
their own PO files. The PO files for the child will only reference the
child's strings. The parent's translation files will remain unaltered.

-Otto