[theme-reviewers] external style sheets

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Nov 16 00:35:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Edward Caissie
<edward.caissie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given Otto's two comments I am seriously thinking we should be, starting with 3.3, RECOMMENDING all Theme assets (CSS, images, code, etc.) be included with the Theme package/archive; then moving to REQUIRED with 3.4 ... although the only real go-forward issue I see at the moment is the inclusion of Google-fonts (low-risk but still contravening this idea) this can be addressed as well (per Otto).

Note that all of Google's Web Fonts are available for download and can
be easily included in a theme without too much trouble. Only potential
issue is size, which I'm still thinking about.

Most of G's fonts are using the SIL Open Font License, which is GPLv2
compatible. Some of the rest are using the Apache 2 License which is
not GPLv2 compatible.

If a theme includes a font (or anything else reasonably separate),
make sure that:
a) the license for that font is documented in the theme's readme or in
the stylesheet (all relevant licenses should always be listed
somewhere)
b) that the license is a compatible one (listed here:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review#GPL-Compatible_Font_Licenses)