[theme-reviewers] Comments are closed on pages

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Thu Mar 3 03:41:26 UTC 2011

The reason my themes have a message is because I opened a discussion on
my forums and had real theme users make the decision.  I have a lot of
opinionated users too. :)  I wouldn't consider that rare or a special
use case.  This was about a three-month discussion.

Also, there are several scenarios for this type of thing:

* No comments, comments closed, pings closed.
* No comments, comments closed, pings open.
* No comments, comments open, pings closed.
* Has comments, comments closed, pings closed.
* Has comments, comments closed, pings open.
* Has comments, comments open, pings closed.

I have these for posts and pages in my personal test data.  I don't
think we have all of them in the theme unit test data.

Having a catchall requirement (based on our opinions) doesn't really cut
it.  A theme developer has a lot of options just based on that list of
how to handle comments.  Many people are going to look at it a different
way and have their own opinion about the best method of handling comments.

There are some things I believe we should just leave up to the theme
developer (this being one of those things).  Granted, 90% of the themes
that come rolling through don't seem to have a lot of thought put behind
them.