[theme-reviewers] Why the bias?

Satish Gandham satish.iitg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:08:06 UTC 2011

If Satish had simply brought up his problems with a "Have we really
settled on requiring add_theme_page() yet?" question, then this would
have been a one or two email thread instead of 20+ emails of people
bickering at each other.

Had it been the only instance, I would have done what you suggested. I was
looking for some solution which would gurantee that such things wont happen
in future. Now as you made it very clear, that there are going to be such
sitautions in future. This will be my last mail on such issues.

FYI,
1. I brought up the add_theme_page() issue here, and asked if you could make
a excuse this time. And the answer was strict NO.

If the Theme options *must* be separated into two pages (in most cases, one
page is sufficient; but there are exceptions), then just put the two pages
under "Appearance". Still no need for a separate, top-level menu entry

I was forced to remove the top level menu while the issue was still under
discussion.

2. Not a single time, my theme was approved suggesting a "requirement" for
the next version. Often times, recommendations were forced as requirements.

Pointing to other themes with a "but they did it!" attitude is
equally unacceptable. Just because one theme "got away" with something
doesn't mean you can do the same.

I'm not asking to pass my theme because you passed the other. I already
fixed the issues pointed out and uploaded a new version.

I'm asking for a solid guidelines, which are fair to everyone, which wont
let some themes get away.

We realize it can be
upsetting, but reviewers are human, and pointing out instances that
you feel are unfair can be done without making it personal.

--Having guidelines which should not be broken will reduce unfair reviews
and help the community as a whole.

I'm sorry if I made it personal.

Satish Gandham