No subject

Wed Aug 17 18:42:36 UTC 2011

Themes containing the PressTrends tracking code track the following
information only: number of posts published, number of comments, blog name,
theme version, site url, and the number of plugins.

Those data, in that combination, ARE potentially personally identifiable.

> This isn't a privacy issue, and the metrics it does gather are extremely
> valuable to theme developers.

Whether such data constitute a privacy concern is a matter for each end
user to decide for him/herself.

> The only thing PressTrends "tracks" is theme activations of what theme
> version number of the theme is being activated, the average number of
> posts, comments, and plugins, and abandonment rates telling you if people
> have stopped using the theme after 30-days.
>
> I have absolutely no problem disclosing this better in our documentation,
> but to make it an option that has to be enabled makes the data it does
> gather pretty much useless.

Useless to whom: the end user, or the developer? If the service is useful
to the end user, then make the usefulness argument to end users. If the
service is *not* useful to the end user, then it absolutely should not be
enabled by default.

> It enables us to see if our users are upgrading their themes to the latest
> versions, and gives us insight into those who stop using our themes.
>
> Having to turn PressTrends off by default and then asking users to enable
> it as a theme option makes the data useless because you will only get
> activation numbers from people who enable the theme option which means they
> are already using and configuring your theme.
>
> If this is truly a requirement, this should be in the theme review
> guidelines.

Certainly. I will copy the similar policy wording from the Plugin
repository<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/guidelines/>(see
#7: No "phoning home"), and find the appropriate place for it in the
Theme guidelines.

Thanks,

Chip

--14dae934044772f87304bac0a101

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:trent at cyberchimps.com">trent at cyberch=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Woh.<br>
It is truly a shame you guys have already made the decision to restrict Pre=
ssTrends use from WordPress.org without any discussion, or reason.<br></blo=
e PressTrends in your WPORG repository-hosted Theme. We&#39;re merely stipu=
lating that you have to *disclose* to end users that the Theme is using thi=
s service, and that you have to allow end users to *opt-in* to use of this =
service.=A0</div>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
There is absolutely nothing wrong with knowing how many people are using yo=
ur themes, and what version numbers they are using. In fact, I wish WordPre=
rgin:0 0 0 40px;border:none;padding:0px">
olor:rgb(53,56,42);font-family:FreeSans,clean,sans-serif;font-size:16px;lin=
e-height:20px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255)">The freedom to run the pro=
gram means the freedom for any kind of person or organization to use it on =
any kind of computer system, for any kind of overall job and purpose, <b>wi=
thout being required to communicate about it with the developer or any othe=
r specific entity</b>. In this freedom, <b>it is the=A0<em style=3D"font-st=
yle:italic">user&#39;s</em>=A0purpose that matters, not the=A0<em style=3D"=
font-style:italic">developer&#39;s</em>=A0purpose</b>; you as a user are fr=
ee to run the program for your purposes, and if you distribute it to someon=
e else, she is then free to run it for her purposes, but <b>you are not ent=
t: you, as a developer, do not have the right to this information without t=
he user&#39;s informed consent.=A0</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" s=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

There is absolutely no private information that is garnered from PressTrend=
order:none;padding:0px"><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div><span class=3D"Appl=
e-style-span" style=3D"color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial,sans-serif;fon=
t-size:13px;line-height:20px">Themes containing the PressTrends tracking co=
de track the following information only: number of posts published, number =
of comments, blog name, theme version, site url, and the number of plugins.=
a, in that combination, ARE potentially personally identifiable.=A0</div><b=
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px =
#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

This isn&#39;t a privacy issue, and the metrics it does gather are extremel=
 such data constitute a privacy concern is a matter for each end user to de=
cide for him/herself.=A0</div>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
The only thing PressTrends &quot;tracks&quot; is theme activations of what =
theme version number of the theme is being activated, the average number of=
 posts, comments, and plugins, and abandonment rates telling you if people =
have stopped using the theme after 30-days.<br>

I have absolutely no problem disclosing this better in our documentation, b=
ut to make it an option that has to be enabled makes the data it does gathe=
 the end user, or the developer? If the service is useful to the end user, =
then make the usefulness argument to end users. If the service is *not* use=
ful to the end user, then it absolutely should not be enabled by default.</=
div>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
It enables us to see if our users are upgrading their themes to the latest =
versions, and gives us insight into those who stop using our themes.<br>
Having to turn PressTrends off by default and then asking users to enable i=
t as a theme option makes the data useless because you will only get activa=
tion numbers from people who enable the theme option which means they are a=
lready using and configuring your theme.<br>

If this is truly a requirement, this should be in the theme review guidelin=
=3D"http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/guidelines/">similar policy w=
ording from the Plugin repository</a> (see #7: No &quot;phoning home&quot;)=
, and find the appropriate place for it in the Theme guidelines.=A0</div>

--14dae934044772f87304bac0a101--