No subject

Wed Aug 17 18:42:36 UTC 2011

practice,
I think, but probably would be popular.

This would be of specific interest to themes with premium versions. My own
pro
version is GPLed partly because of what I thought the policy was, and that
seems
just fine to me. But I think a good portion of the authors with themes on
the
repository that also upsell would like to have the premium version non-GPL.

Bruce Wampler

--e89a8fb206046756e304bac3645e

> I don't know what ThemeForest's rules are, but... it's you=
r theme,<br>&gt; your work, your code. Can&#39;t you distribute it under an=
from our repo to be 100% GPL-compatible.<br>
&gt; I don&#39;t know of any reason you couldn&#39;t put the same theme you=
 created<br>&gt; on another site as well, under any licensing terms you lik=
fused. From my understanding of comments Chip<br>
gave me during an earlier theme review, I believe the policy was that any t=
heme<br>hosted on the repository had to also be 100% GPL on _any_ site it w=
as hosted on.<br>I even understood that the policy extended further than th=
at, actually. I thought that<br>
everything on a site hosting a repo-hosted theme had to be GPL. And this is=
 really a<br>reasonable extension of the whole concept of GPL - for the pri=
vilege of being<br>hosted on the WP.org repo, you agree to keep the theme t=
otally in the spirit<br>
of the concept.<br><br>From what I read of your interpretation, it would be=
 a change from past practice,<br>I think, but probably would be popular.<br=
 own pro<br>
version is GPLed partly because of what I thought the policy was, and that =
seems<br>just fine to me. But I think a good portion of the authors with th=
emes on the<br>repository that also upsell would like to have the premium v=
ersion non-GPL.<br>

--e89a8fb206046756e304bac3645e--