[theme-reviewers] A few issues to look out for

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Wed Apr 27 23:02:03 UTC 2011

I probably didn't explain myself well enough in the first email.

We're not looking at the "type" parameter of wp_list_comments().  We're
looking at the "callback" parameter here.  This is where a theme is
overriding core functionality.  If the theme didn't override this
functionality with a custom function, WordPress would display other
comment types by default.

A plugin cannot be responsible for incorporating custom comment types if
a theme is purposely not allowing comments of a custom type to show.
There's no hook to allow a plugin to override what a theme is doing
there.  Even if there was a hook there, this would be a major problem if
a plugin was changing how a theme handled the display of comments.

What's happening here is themes are overriding core functionality
without handling every scenario that core handles by default.