[theme-reviewers] A few issues to look out for

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Apr 27 02:36:15 UTC 2011

If a Theme is providing callback output for 'comment', 'pingback', and
'trackback', then it IS handling every core comment type; thus, I disagree
that a Theme is not "handling every scenario that core handles by default".
A Theme cannot know what a Plugin might possibly hook into, or what content
it might provide.

Now, if a Theme provided callback functions for only 'comment' comment
types, but not for 'pings' (or if it accounted for 'trackback' but not
'pingback', or something similar), then I would agree.

One of the most common features is for a Theme to separate comments form
pings. That very act of separation - however accomplished - would require
explicitly declaring 'comment' and 'pings' comment types. Thus, it would not
be using the 'all' comment type. And thus, such Themes would no longer be
flexible enough to handle some non-core comment type added by a Plugin.

Or am I missing something?

Chip