[theme-reviewers] THEME: Auto Show - 1.0.6

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:26:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> This Theme also needs to address appropriate backwards compatibility (e.g.
> function_exists() calls around dynamic_sidebar(), etc.).

This is something I've been pondering -- why are we still enforcing
back-compat for these sorts of things?

Given the stated release goals/philosophy for core WordPress, why
should theme devs be forced to support anything other than a single
previous major dot rev? And how long has dynamic_sidebar() been in
place?  (Codex says 2.2 -- i.e., almost 4 years ago)

So my question remains: why should a theme fail for neglecting this
check? Are folks still running WP 2.1 out there? Are they INSANE? And
is it not equally insane/enabling to allow them to continue to do so?

--
-Doug
@zamoose