[theme-reviewers] THEME: Auto Show - 1.0.6

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Apr 11 18:36:56 UTC 2011

You've got it exactly *backwards*.

We *don't* want Themes arbitrarily supporting backwards-compatibility.

That is, Widgets have been around for years. Themes don't need to add
"function_exists()" conditionals around calls to functions such as
"register_sidebar()" and "dynamic_sidebar()".

My personal stance is that arbitrary backwards-compatibility must be limited
to one prior major version of WordPress.

(Anything beyond that, and the backwards-compatibility must be thorough and
complete, rather than arbitrary. And even then, there is a question of
whether such Themes should be maintained in the repository, or made
available separately for whatever niche of users still need them.)

Chip