[theme-reviewers] Goals and Process

chip at chipbennett.net chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Jun 11 16:16:08 UTC 2010

> Hi David,
>

> Without trying to sound too awkward, I'm afraid I still disagree.
>
> *	The theme has a clear visual hierarchy.   - It's either clear, or it's
> not. If it's "almost" clear but not completely clear, then it's "not
> clear" and would therefore be a no + advisory to improve slightly if
> possible.

And how do we define "clear visual hierarchy". If we use the "I'll know it
when I see it" approach, then the standard will be subjective, and
unevenly evaluated. So, if we use this approach, we need an objective
definition of "clear visual hierarchy."

> *	The navigation is easy to understand.   - It either easy to understand,
> or it isn't. If it's "almost" easy to understand, but not completely easy
> to understand, then it's a no and as above.

Define "easy to understand navigation"? Easy for whom? How "easy" is easy
enough?

> *	Where possible, decorative images are in CSS.    - All decorative images
> are in the CSS .. if they are then yes, if not no + another advisory.
> *	The theme uses CSS for all presentational aspects.  - It either uses CSS
> for all presentation aspects, or it doesn't.

Again: we need a standard defined, if this is to be a yes/no criterion.

> Again, remember an advisory would be only for things that are minor, and
> you'd have to get a few of them to fail.
>
> As for things that are subjective on the eye of the reviewer, such as your
> example - a "is that hierarchy 100% clear (yes/no)", is a lot easier to
> resolve with a second pair of eyes than "is that hierarchy a 2 or a 3?".

Unless we have objective definitions for what constitutes a 1, 2, 3, 4, or
5 with respect to "clear visual hierarchy".

> I also feel, that while 'rating' things would be nice, we don't gain
> anything extra by doing it.
>
> E.g.
>
> ·         The theme uses CSS for all presentational aspects.
>
> No matter whether we rated this as a 2, 3 or 4, we'd still have the same
> bit of advice to tell the author - "Put more of your presentational images
> into the CSS".
>
> Gav
> //gavinpearce.com

Again, we need clear definitions. Should this criterion downgrade, say, a
table that is used to control layout rather than to render tabular data?
What all "presentational aspects" should be evaluated? (More for theme
authors than for us, I suppose.)

So, ultimately, I'm all for explicit, yes/no criteria - but they have to
be clearly, precisely, and objectively defined. That could be a tall order
for some of our criteria.

Chip