[theme-reviewers] TDC: W3C Validation and WordPress Shortcodes

Simon Prosser pross at pross.org.uk
Sat Jul 3 23:23:16 UTC 2010

On 04/07/2010 00:04, Chip Bennett wrote:
> Good evening, Theme Reviewers!
>
> I'm back with more... this time, looking at W3C validation of the unit test
> data. I'm sure this information isn't new to some/most/all of you, but: the
> WordPress [gallery] shortcode and video embeds do not validate, nor does the
> default markup generated by comment_form().

> understand the reason why; nevertheless, it still results in invalid markup).
>
> The embeds add undefined attributes.
>
> comment_form() adds aria-required attributes (draft attributes; not yet
> standard) to required form fields.
>
> Are these validation errors anything to be concerned about with respect to
> theme review? Or, should we just expect them beforehand, and check for any
> other errors?

Evening Chip!

'aria' validates if using html5.

[gallery] tag like you say will never validate, there are a couple of
tickets in trac with suggested workarounds, hopefully they will be
adopted before long.

I reworked the tag in my theme along with the youtube/googlevideo
shortags and now it all validates :) I may release the code as a 'this
will fix wordpress' kind of plugin.

i always validate one of the pages that does not contain the gallery and
ignore the two 'aria' errors.

--
MyBlog : http://www.pross.org.uk/
Plugins : http://www.pross.org.uk/plugins/