[theme-reviewers] Guidelines regarding Theme Names

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Aug 30 21:06:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Edward Caissie
<edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> So no comments.php file throws a deprecated message at you? That doesn't
> seem right ...
>
> What theme is this happening with? I'd like to see this myself ... and are
> there other tempalte files we will need to make requirements for similar
> reasons?

comments.php is only required if you need comments.php. Before 3.0,
WordPress happily used Kubrick's comments.php (same with header.php,
footer.php, comments-popup.php, and sidebar.php). Overly minimal themes are
deprecated. [1]

That said, if the theme doesn't use a sidebar, then not having sidebar.php
won't have any effect.

[1]
http://westi.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/themes-and-wordpress-3-0-some-important-changes/