[wp-hackers] CVS: wordpress/wp-includes comment-functions.php

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Sat Jan 22 21:26:28 GMT 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Matthew Mullenweg wrote:

> Owen Winkler wrote:
>> Maybe I trust everyone on this list to install appropriate anti-spam
>> measures and only disable nofollow when it's prudent, but I don't
>> trust the tens of thousands of common WordPress users who wouldn't
>> even understand this message thread.  There are already solutions
>> available (posted elsewhere in this list) for people who really don't
>> want to use nofollow.  I'm sure more robust solutions will become
>> available as the nofollow code evolves.
>
> Exactly.

	If you really wanted to PREVENT comment spam why don't you include
something like AuthImage (http://www.gudlyf.com/index.php?p=376) or one
of the many other plugins that attempt to PREVENT spam and turn it on
by default.  With just nofollow those newbie WP bloggers will simply
discover that they now have 2,500 spam comments that have use nofollow
in their links.  And believe me, deleting than many comments is very
unpleasant (speaking from experience).

	If you aren't trying to PREVENT comment spam, then you are just going
down the same road as email spam filters.  Which has done nothing to
slow down, let alone stop, email spam.

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/