[wp-hackers] file upload: why actual files?

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Sep 20 01:40:46 UTC 2004

m at tidakada.com wrote:
> Storing binary files in the database just does not scale. Half a hundred
> concurrent WP installs on the same server (very common with our userbase) would
> be enough to make sysadmins curse and ban WP from it, as the memory consumption
> would skyrocket.

BLOBs can scale very well under certain circumstances, so for instance I
could see myself using BLOBs to store all my 9,000+ photos, but these
are very different circumstances than the majority of WP users will be
under, which is why I agree we should get files down first and then
abstract it so someone could use DB storage if the could/wanted.

What we really need to address here is rolling out the post/file
attachment system using sub-posts.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://mobiusltd.com