[wp-hackers] Posted Elsewhere Feature

Graham Walker gwalker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 23:05:47 UTC 2004

I post comments on a lot of other blogs, but I can never seem to keep
track of them, to keep the conversations going. Sometimes I'll
trackback-ping an entry on another site to add my two cents, but
sometimes I want to just comment on someone's own entry, instead of
making my own. I've been doing some brainstorming about it, and I just
wanted to hear what everyone thought of the idea--something like a
reverse trackback. It would work similar to Matt Haughey's Posted
Elsewhere feature: (down the page on the right)
http://a.wholelottanothing.org/

I'm not a hardcore coder or anything, so I have no idea how this would
necessarily work, but I think it would tie a lot of the dropped
conversations together in the blogging world. Something like this:

I post a comment at Person X's blog, and enter my weblog URL.
Person X's blog software somehow pings *my* blog, which then (publicly
or privately) adds Person X's blog entry to my list of "Posted
Elsewheres."
This list is perhaps an RSS feed of Person X's entry, so I can be
alerted if there's a new comment added to the entry.

Make sense? Doable? Would people use this? I think it'd be a cool
feature for Wordpress (and all blogging software), personally, but I
have no idea how to make it work.

just a brainstorm,
graham