[wp-hackers] Themes support

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Sep 14 07:06:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 01:01 -0500, Ryan Boren wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 01:17 +0100, Allan Mertner wrote:
> > Is anyone working on finishing off the theme support?  As far as I can
> > tell, the code to do the amdin work is there, but only the stylesheet is
> > loaded from the template dir - other files are not (yet).
>
> It's all in there.  I have Kubrick and some other things running as
> themes.
>
> > It looks like we need a functions-templates.php in wp-includes that
> > allows for easy access to some of the template settings, and then an
> > update to index, sidebar, etc to load the appropriate file based on
> > template settings.
>
> index, sidebar, etc. don't need updates.  Templates are loaded through
> the blog header.
>
> If you want to see Kubrick as a theme, download this:
>
> http://fuzzybelly.org/testbed/kubrick-theme.tar.gz

BTW, this version of Kubrick has been altered by me to use 1.3 specific
functions such as is_single(), is_category(), is_page() and friends.  It
also provides support for static/standalone pages.  "Pages" are
presented without date, title, author or other adornments.  Since the
theme has been tampered with by me, don't bug Michael about any broken
bits.  This is only meant for demonstrating the theme manager.

I'll send out instructions on how to package templates and stylesheets
as themes.  It's quite simple.  Looking at the Kubrick theme should give
a good idea of what's required.  In it's most basic form, you can simply
stick style.css and index.php in a subdirectory of wp-content/themes to
make a theme.

Ryan