[wp-hackers] Themes support

Allan Mertner amwp at mertner.com
Tue Sep 14 08:03:09 UTC 2004

Hi Ryan,

>It's all in there.  I have Kubrick and some other things running as
>themes.

I don't think it quite is. I downloaded and installed Kubrick (very nice
theme, btw!) and it uses a WP 1.2-style index.php where everything is in
that file; in 1.3, there is a nice separation of concerns.

I have created a test theme where the sidebar, header, footer etc. are
in separate files, like the new v1.3 index.php and associated files now
look for.  I would like the theme to not include index.php and just use
the default one, which should load the sub-files to plug in a new header
and footer and leave the rest in peace, for example.

This is not currently possible, and doesn't work even if I copy the
default index.php into my theme. I imagine that this is how people will
try to make themes in the future: copy some or all of the default  files
and edit them.  The reason why it doesn't work is that all of the
"include" files are loaded from ABSPATH, which is always the root of
your installation and not a themes dir.

OTOH, I don't think it requires a lot of changes for it to work really
nicely.

Thoughts?
Allan