[wp-hackers] Plugin DB and RSS Feed...

drDave drdave at unknowngenius.com
Mon Oct 25 18:40:17 UTC 2004

Well, as I said previously, I originally took on the project after
talking with Greg/NuclearMoose who had been, afaik, given the official
task of putting such a site/DB together. He seemed to have neither the
time nor the motivation to tackle it any time soon, and since I felt
such a DB was urgently needed, I proposed to write the codebase and
figure with him how he would like to integrate it into wp-plugins.org.
As it turns out, right about when I finished, Greg announced he was
taking an extensive break from blogging and, I assume, from all matters
WP as well. I've not heard from him ever since.

I wish nothing more than seeing this DB used as a central and official
repository and definitely do not aspire to even be the only maintainer
there. I tried designing the tools in such a way that, if need be, it
can be 1) very easily transported on any other server 2) administered
by more than one person...

It's been now more than two weeks and while I have gotten massive
feedback from the user community, the WP team seems a bit less
enthusiastic about either endorsing it officially, coming up with
alternatives or simply figuring out what should be changed/added to
make it a good fit within WP. I am honestly not that concerned about
it, neither are most users, and neither should be developers: the DB,
as well as the source for the client are all open-source and, while I
haven't yet figured a good way to let people grab the whole content of
the DB through SQL, they can already use it programmatically through
the backdoor interface documented in the FAQ. Truthfully, if *anybody*
was to come up with some kind of more useful/advanced plugin DB system
and wanted to take over, I'll be more than happy to help migrate the
data over. I seriously doubt that'll happen any time soon, though
(well, it's not happened for the past 10 months, to start with).

In the meantime, judging from my stats alone, there's obviously a very
strong need from users for such a repository: the wiki page is bloated
and absolutely unusable, and most plugins as they are offered nowadays
are out of reach for most casual WP users.

My two main goals were to 1) make it easy for these users to know what
plugins are around 2) simplify the install process for as many plugins
as possible.

I believe it does, and it might do it even better as an officially
endorsed plugin DB, but if that cannot happen at the moment, I see no
reason not to use it in the meantime.

PS: thanks to Rob who offered to take a look at the css and give it a
shot, the page might finally get a nicer layout soon!

Cheers
--
dave